Announcing: The Oregon Total Solar Eclipse Rally, August 18-21, 2017
Rally Full. Please contact Susan Taylor to be added to waiting list.
If you think you’ve seen a total solar eclipse but you aren’t sure: you haven’t. It’s usually a once-in-a-lifetime experience that fans chase around the world, but in 2017 we’ll be able to view the event right here in Oregon!
You’ll enjoy three nights of camping on a lake near Madras—a near-perfect viewing location very near the “centerline” where the eclipse will last the longest. Expect clear skies for the big event on August 21, 2017, as well as fantastic catered food, science lectures, access to telescopes and stargazing—even a visiting astronaut!—water fun on the lake (including a fishing derby), all the nearby outdoor recreation and attractions that Central Oregon has to offer, and an exclusive evening performance by everyone’s favorite Trailer Park Troubadour, Antsy McClain!
Cost: $90 per site plus $150 per person
This includes three nights camping (Friday, August 18—Sunday Aug 20, 2017). No charge for children under ten.
There are some limited “Friends and Family” sites available which consist of a Yome with room to park a trailer in the adjacent driveway. If interested, please contact Susan Taylor for more specific information and availability of these sites.
Know before you register
- The eclipse occurs on Monday morning, 8/21/17. The rally officially ends (after the eclipse and celebration brunch) at noon on that day.
- The Blackout Rally is a major event! We’ve secured sites at two RV campgrounds a mile apart on the water: Pelton Park, and Lake Simtustus RV Park (where group activities will be held).
- There will be the option for early arrival and/or late departure. You will be responsible for making arrangements directly with the park closer to the event and once your site is assigned.
- The terrain is slightly rough, and there will be some walking up and down hill.
- It will be a tight squeeze at both parks. Campsite spaces are length-specific, and your site will be assigned by the rally registrar based on Airstream length. You may not be able to keep your tow vehicle next to your trailer.
- Prepare to dry camp (though some hookup sites are offered on a first come first served basis. You’re welcome to ask to be placed on a waiting list for water and electricity).
A welcome packet with more details will arrive in the weeks and months to come before August 2017.
Questions? Contact rally co-host Rhonda Coleman at email@example.com (503.449.4960).